Sunday, December 2, 2012

Review: Michael Vey: Rise of the Elgen

There are good books, and there are bad books. And then there are books that make you want to throw them across the room. This... is one of the later kind.

Plot-wise, Rise of the Elgen is ... okay, I guess. It's the second book in the Michael Vey series, and I've read the first one. I'm basing mostly on that, because I didn't finish this one.

Why? Because I've seen trollfics that were better-proofread.

I'm not kidding. Right at the start of the first chapter, in the first paragraph no less, there's a big, glaring typo. And it's not even something subtle like a misspelled word, either. No, this is a perfectly legit word, followed by a colon (one of these guys: : ), followed by a stray q.

Were this one of the centralized, digital books I've been in the habit of reading, I could just read right over that. I'd contact the author (probably, assuming I remembered), and if the didn't fix it in a reasonable time I'd probably stop reading altogether. If it were a local copy, I'd fix mine, too; and all that would be the end of it.
But this is a hardcopy printed book. The whole point, the way I hear it, is that there's systems in place to prevent these things, and this is a ridiculously obvious one.

Now, I said I could read right over such a typo. And I did. Kept right on moving, and got several chapters in. But I realized something -- there's no real interest to the plot. So far, across two books no less, it's been non-stop action, and only non-stop action, and that really sucks. Sure, non-stop action all the time can be done -- the Maximum Ride books do it rather well -- but it's not easy, and this certainly doesn't do it right.

Final Verdict: Dump it. Dump it HARD.

No comments:

Post a Comment